Between our five campuses and online, Brenau University has about 150 students who are veterans. This week, we’ll celebrate these students as well as our faculty and staff veterans in observance of Veterans Day. Honorific events include:
- Brenau has placed 442 patriotic pinwheels on Owens Student Center lawn, each one signifying a Brenau University student that has a military affiliation. This figured represents approximately 9 % of Brenau students.
- The College Republicans sponsored an event for students to sign holiday cards to be sent to service members who are outside the continental United States.
- Veteran employees will be honored with a formal invitation-only luncheon on Thursday at 11 a.m. in the Yonah Board Room. This year’s Brenau Outstanding Veteran Award will be presented at the luncheon. If you are a veteran employee and did not get an invitation please contact ude.uanerb@trohsr as soon as possible.
- The College Republicans are co-hosting a flag ceremony with in conjunction with Military and Veterans Services. The ceremony will demonstrate the proper way to dispose of a flag. Everyone is invited to attend and participate. The event begins at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 8.
- Friday, Nov. 10, on the federal Veteran’s Day federal holiday, students, faculty and staff are encouraged to join in a bipartisan show of respect and support for our veterans. Wear red white and blue, or any combination your wardrobe allows in order to help honor the veterans. Please meet on the steps of Owens at 11 a.m. to take a group picture.
- Our campuses will be honoring veterans in conjunction with their Adult Student Appreciation week festivities this week. Wendy’s donated 100 free Frosty coupons for our online veterans.
- 90 veterans and their families will join the Alumni Association at a Hawks Game at Phillips Arena on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017, to honor their service to our country. The $25 admission includes your ticket, tee shirt and $10 in concessions. There may be a few tickets available if any veteran students or faculty/staff would like to join us. Contact ude.uanerb@trohsr first come first served.
Remember, even if you hate the idea of war, as our 2016 recipient of the Brenau Outstanding Veteran award Brenau Post Master Vern Smedley, said “Service members and vets also hate war, but we were sworn to serve. We do. Many still do.” Please help us thank them.