The Postal Service reminds employees and customers to be safe, watchful and observant regarding the proper identification and disposition of suspicious packages.
There are long-standing established safety and security protocols for identifying and handling suspicious mail and packages, and we are currently reminding employees of those protocols and providing them with other resources that are available to them.
As consumers, please keep in mind that suspicious mail and packages can bear any of these characteristics:
- Sent unexpectedly or from someone unfamiliar to you
- Addressed to former employees or use improper job titles
- No return address or cannot be verified as legitimate
- Unusual weight given the size, or lopsided or leaking an unknown substance
- Marked with restrictive endorsements, such as “Personal” or “Confidential”
- City or state postmark that does not match the return address