In just a few weeks, construction to the downtown Gainesville parking deck adjacent to the Brenau Downtown Center will begin. The City of Gainesville and its community partners, including Brenau, have worked out some temporary solutions to resolve the parking shortage while two levels are added to the deck.
Deck construction preparation will begin Monday, Aug. 27. The following timeline is dependent upon weather and other variables:
- Demolition on level 4 of the parking deck is scheduled to begin Sept. 4.
- Main Street will be closed to through-traffic beginning Sept. 17, while Carroll Daniel Construction installs a crane that will be in place until major construction finishes in late November.
- The parking deck will be fully closed on Sept. 24, when prefabricated concrete pieces of the new levels 5 and 6 begin to arrive.
- Parking deck levels 1-3 will reopen after Thanksgiving in late November.
- All six levels of the parking deck will be open by the end of January 2019, according to plans.
The Main Street entrance to the Brenau Downtown Center will be closed Sept. 24 until the deck reopens in late November. The city government is working with Brenau to identify external parking lots where students, faculty and patients can park and take public transit to the Downtown Center. City government employees will park offsite to open up space for us and for downtown customers.
When the project is complete in about six months, another 180 spaces will be added to the parking deck’s current 419 spaces.
We thank everyone for their patience during this process!
Learn more in the Downtown Center Parking Plan (PDF).