Kathye Light Recognized for Support of Guard and Reserve Employees

Kathye Light, physical therapy department chair at Brenau University, was recognized Monday, Dec. 12, for her support of Guard and Reserve employees.

Light was presented with the Patriot Award from Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, a program of the U.S. Department of Defense. She was nominated by Chief Master Sgt. Melissa Tavilla, office manager in Brenau’s occupational therapy program and human resource advisor for the 134th Air Refueling Wing, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base. It was presented at a faculty and staff holiday dinner Monday evening.

“I’ve worked for her for three years now,” Tavilla said. “She’s always been very supportive. I probably have to take off more time for work than many would allow or tolerate, but she allows me to take that time. She’s always been very supportive and accommodating.”

Recognizing supportive employers is part of ESGR’s mission. The Patriot Award recognizes individuals supervisors and bosses who provide support directly to the nominating service member. It reflects the efforts made to support citizen warriors through flexible scheduling, caring for families and more. These Department of Defense awards honor the sacrifices made by employers year after year.

“It means a lot to me that she recognizes the importance of the role I play and that citizens need to be part of ensuring the welfare of the state and the rest of the country,” Tavilla added. “I’m proud of her.”