Meet Brenau’s New Design Director: Michael Lowe

Whenever you admire the layout of an issue of the Brenau Window, marvel at the lamppost banners around campus or take in any of the visually stunning posters and advertisements on the Brenau campuses, you can thank Michael Lowe, who joined Brenau as its new design director in the Office of Communications & Publications in May.

A native of Birmingham, Alabama, Lowe earned a B.A. in studio art/graphic design and also studied creative writing and journalism at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. He worked as a copy editor and page designer at The Tuscaloosa News right out of college, and then worked for newspapers in Dothan, Alabama, and Savannah, Georgia. He has done copy editing, design and writing for almost 15 years.

His first experience working in higher education was as a graphic designer at Armstrong State University in Savannah, where he led the creative efforts that earned his team two CASE grand awards for best branding campaign and best fundraising piece.

For Lowe, the move from newspapers to higher education was “life-changing.”

“It wasn’t just working a normal schedule and getting to spend holidays with my family, but it was so rewarding working with students and interns and actually making a difference in their lives.”

Lowe enjoys going to sports events, traveling, fishing and hiking, and has been discovering all the events at Brenau – living only a few streets away from campus, he likes rooting on the Golden Tigers sports teams. He is also deeply impressed by the Brenau art collections and theaters.

“For a small campus, there’s so much art and culture,” Lowe said. “After touring the galleries and Pearce Auditorium during my first visit here, I knew this was where I wanted to be. I’m glad I’m here and getting to be a part of big things.”