Brenau Scholar Abigail Sandifer to Speak at ImproveCareNow

Abigail Sandifer, a sophomore health sciences major from Stapleton, Georgia, and 2015-16 Brenau Scholar, will speak at the ImproveCareNow National Conference on Sept. 15-17 in Chicago, Illinois on a panel as a member of the ICN’s Patient Advisory Council.
ImproveCareNow is an organization that seeks to transform the health, care and costs for young people with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis by building a sustainable, collaborative chronic care network. Physicians, nurses, psychologists, dietitians, parents and patients will attend this three-day conference.
Sandifer will discuss the importance of patients to taking an active role in addressing their own medical needs. This includes taking their medication, attending appointments and being self-advocates. She will also discuss the necessity for provider-patient trust and how to build that relationship.
“My dream is to work in an acute care setting for a year after graduating with my BSN and to then apply to graduate school for nurse anesthesia,” she said. “This is my first conference, and I am extremely excited.”
To learn more about Sandifer, read the article about her in the Winter 2015-16 issue of the Brenau Window at http://window.brenau.edu/articles/a-novel-survivor/.