Brenau Celebrates May Day 2016

Hundreds of Women’s College graduates returned to Brenau’s Gainesville campus for the university’s Alumnae Reunion Weekend and May Day festivities April 15-16.

Friday and Saturday’s events were marked by tears of joy, tears of nostalgia and tears of remembrance. Following the traditional class day, May Court and Maypole wrapping ceremonies, alumnae and their families toured the Brenau campus and visited the university’s new sorority buildings, met with old classmates and viewed the annual May Day student fashion show and Brenau Collaborative art exhibition.

Alumnae Reunion Weekend is something Ambah Frederick Kioko, WC ’01, looks forward to every year. The biology major, who has been a school psychologist for DeKalb County Schools for the last 10 years, has attended every May Day celebration since 1997. “I get kind of teary-eyed when I see everybody here,” she said. “It makes me feel the same way I felt when I was back here in ’97. Everybody’s like a family.”

Perhaps no one summed up the emotions of Alumnae Reunion Weekend better than Women’s College Dean Debra Dobkins, who described Brenau’s place as a “forever home” for its graduates.

“You have left your heart here,” she told alumnae during the yearly champagne brunch, “and it thrills us to see you come back and stay connected with us.”

You can read more about the weekend’s activities and view a gallery of photos from May Day at http://www.brenau.edu/news/forever-home-may-day-2016.