David Cook Earns Doctorate

Dr. David Cook, assistant professor of mathematics.

Over the summer, College of Health Sciences faculty member David Cook received an Ed. D. in Educational Leadership and Technology from the University of Phoenix.

Cook’s dissertation, A Causal Comparative Study into the Efficacy of Placement Testing and Remediation in College Algebra, will soon be published in the online database ProQuest Dissertations and Theses.

Dr. Gale Starich, dean of the College of Health Sciences and the Sidney O. Smith, Jr. Graduate School, said Cook’s expertise on the topic will greatly benefit the Department of Mathematics and Science.

“He also brings extensive experience in Six Sigma analysis and improvement planning, a skill that’s vital for program and curriculum improvements now underway in his department,” she said. “I’m looking forward to his increased involvement across the college in the Interprofessional Education program, which kicks off in earnest this fall.”

Cook joined Brenau in 2007 as an adjunct professor. He became a full-time assistant professor in 2010.

Two fellow Department of Mathematics and Science faculty members lent Cook their support while he pieced together his dissertation. Instructor Dana Edge helped him rein in data while Dr. Art Evans served on his committee.

Cook said he first mulled going after a terminal degree 12 years ago, after he earned his master’s degree in mechanical engineering.

“Now, two kids later, I knew that if I did not do it now, I never would,” he said. “Working at a university seemed to justify the effort … it was a long road and I could not have made it without the help of my family, friends and colleagues.”