Head Coach Thomas Earns Career Softball Victory No.300

Brenau Head Coach Devon Thomas
Brenau Head Coach Devon Thomas with Students

Brenau University’s defeat of Emmanuel College 11-1 last Tuesday not only signified the team’s 27th win of the softball season, it also marked the 300th career win of head coach Devon Thomas.

Thomas, who started the softball program at Brenau, reflects back on the journey, noting how far the program has come since its inception in 2004. “Our first record was 2-37. I had to recruit constantly to stay competitive and to even field a full roster,” said Thomas. “In my third year, we won 37 games which was an incredible turnaround. But I never thought I would get to 300 wins”.

Over his ten year career at Brenau, Thomas has coached 38 SSAC all-conference selections, 58 SSAC all-academic selections, two SSAC Players of the Year, three SSAC Freshmen of the Year, four NAIA All-Americans and three NFCA All-Americans. Thomas was also an NAIA National Coach of the Year finalist in both 2009 and 2012.

When asked to reflect on his journey to 300 wins, Thomas noted that his most memorable moment was not his team’s 2012 Final Four appearance in the NAIA national tournament which secured a final #3 national ranking, but instead it was winning a regular season Conference Championship in 2009. “That championship validated how far this program had come from its beginning,” said Thomas. “That was the moment I was most proud of because that represented all of our hard work”.

In his ten seasons, Thomas has a cumulative record of 300-174, with four seasons of 30-plus win and three seasons of 40-plus victories.