Author Ronda Rich, WC’83, Speaking May 14

Ronda Rich, WC '83, Author and ColumnistRonda Rich, best-selling author, Southern humorist and Women’s College alumna will speak on Tuesday, May 14 at 6:30 p.m. in Pearce Auditorium on Brenau’s Gainesville campus. Admission is free. Rich, whose storytelling column appears in 53 newspapers across the Southeast, will share her stories of humor and inspiration told as seen through the eyes of Southerners, which will be recorded for a DVD.

“I welcome this opportunity to come back to Brenau and perform on the stage of  the beautiful, history-rich Pearce Auditorium. When we decided to film this DVD of my stories, it felt right to come home to Gainesville and Brenau to share this event with the people who have loved and supported me from the beginning of my career. It is my gift back to the community and school of my raising,” Rich said, adding that her graduation from Brenau in May, 1983 is memorable for reasons other than just the beautiful spring day. “On Friday night before I graduated on Sunday, I was a young sports writer and was covering the Atlanta Braves-Chicago Cubs game. I was on deadline, needed to get the story and to make a long story short, which I am loathe to do, I became the first woman in the Chicago Cubs locker room. It was a historical weekend for me in more ways than one.”

Rich, the author of five non-fiction books including her trilogy What Southern Women Know series, is a Brenau journalism/broadcasting graduate. A movie based on her only novel, The Town That Came A-Courtin’, begins filming this summer.