Do you know the woman in this picture? – Brenau’s Gay Hammond authors stage play, gathers critical recognition

Do you know the woman in this picture? - Brenau's Gay Hammond authors stage play, gathers critical recognitionAn excerpt of The Raven and the Nightingale by Gay Hammond, Assistant Professor of Theatre, has been accepted for publication in the Fall 2012 issue of The Louisville Review.

The Raven and the Nightingale is a tragic play in verse about the doomed prophetess of Troy, Cassandra, whose gift from Apollo was the ability to see the future and whose punishment from him was the curse that no one would believe her. In this play she is assailed by the destructive power of her visions while trying to navigate their meaning in order to save her family and her home.

She is haunted and guided by the ghost of her twin brother as she faces not only her terrible fears and possible madness but her last enemy, Helen of Sparta.

“I wrote the play – which is entirely in iambic verse – as my Creative Thesis, in partial fulfillment of my MFA in Playwriting for Spalding University, which I received last month,” Hammond said. “I actually wrote it for my two children Amelia and John Connor (EWC 2010), who are now both professional actors. They will be doing a public reading of the play tonight. Also performing tonight are Brenau theatre alums Zechariah Pierce (EWC 2009) and Clifford W. Smith (EWC 2005), current theatre majors Heather Moore, Joe Harris, Brody Wellmaker, and Alessandra Scarcia, as well as renowned Atlanta actor Carolyn Cook.”
Monday, June 25, 2012