We know what she did last summer … and it involved firearms

We know what she did last summer ... and it involved firearms
DiFede, with Fire Chief Jon Canada and Police Chief Brian Kelly in the background, shows off the certificate she received for a 10-week public safety orientation course.
Danielle DiFede, assistant to the undergraduate dean, was looking for something to do during the summer that was light and relaxing, like martial arts training. Instead she wound up completing what she described as one of the best classes she´s ever taken: the City of Gainesville´s first Citizen´s Public Safety Academy, 10-week course offered by the police and fire departments designed to educate citizens in all areas of law enforcement and fire operations. She was one of 20 people accepted to the course included classes on crime prevention, gangs and narcotics, fire safety, building searches, defensive tactics, and crime scene processing. “We also participated in a police patrol ride along and suited up in fire gear,” she said. “Actually, the officer I rode with happened to be the husband of a Brenau alum.” Courses taught by law enforcement officers and firefighters occurred at the new Public Safety Complex on Queen City Parkway, although they taught some classes were taught off site. “I left every class exhausted with wanting to learn more information,” DiFede said. “I had my first firearms training experience with the GPD at the new outdoor gun range. It was awesome, and I want to take another class.”

Monday, September 26, 2011